2021 Certification Program
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES INFECTION CONTROL PROGRAM
Online Training for Healthcare & Long Term Care Frontline Workers
About The Course
This course reviews infection prevention and control principles and practices in the Healthcare setting with an emphasis on the role of Environmental Services in preventing the spread of infection.
The course will focus on the role of the Manager/Supervisor in infection prevention and control, the chain of transmission, cleaning the environment, audits/feedback, and specialty areas.
Students can successfully progress through the program and complete it within the allotted time frame of six months. With the program being self-paced, there is no mandatory timeline for completing the deliverables.
We would estimate that 4-5 hours of study per week would be required. Please allow mentors a two week turnaround to grade your assignments, but you may still proceed to the next module.
The Canadian Healthcare Housekeepers’ Association Inc. (HHA) was formed in 1957. Our members are dedicated to the advancement of healthcare housekeeping as an integral member of the healthcare team caring for patients, residents and visitors in healthcare facilities.
Students are provided a dedicated mentor to offer one-on-one coaching and support while completing the program.
Expand fields below to explore course content.
- Chain of Transmission in the Environment
- Role of Environmental Cleaning
- The Cost of Health Care Acquired Infections
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Duties of the Supervisor
- Duties of the Worker
- Standards, Guidelines, Protocols and Best Practices
- Top 10 Micro- organisms
- Contaminated equipment or environment: VRE, C difficile, MRSA, ESBL CRE, Norovirus
- Parasites: Scabies and head lice
- The Chain of Transmission
- Elements of the Chain of Transmission
- Breaking the Chain
- Infectious Process
- Sources of Infection
- Routine Practices and Additional Precautions
- Risk Reduction Strategies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Environmental Controls
- Administrative Controls
- Additional Precautions
- Important Linkages for ES
- Selection of Products and Equipment
- Principles of Cleaning
- Patient\Resident\Client Risk
- Audits and Feedback Loop Assignment
- Developing a Business Case/Impact Analysis
- Why do we need a Business Case/Impact Analysis
- When is a Business Case/Impact Analysis Required
- Who completes a Business Case/Impact Analysis
- Environmental role in Construction/Renovation
- Design considerations for Environmental Services
- Patients at Risk
- Waste Management
Expand fields below to get answers to common questions.
Yes, the course is designed in a manner that is easy to understand. The intention is that everyone will be successful. Help is always available.
Once you have logged in, click in the “Courses” link on the site menu and select “My Course Progress” to view your profile page. Here you’ll see courses you are enrolled in and be able to expand the section to show your results and certificate. When your Mentor has marked your assignments, you will receive an e-mail from the system with a link, providing your marks and any comments they provided. You must be logged in to open the link.
The criteria for completion of the Infection Control Program is based a final exam. A certificate of completion is issued to participants who successfully complete all required components of the program and score 80% or higher overall.
- $600.00 + HST
Payment can be made by Credit Card, Cheque or PayPal.
Upon successful registration, you will receive a confirmation email with your login information and assigned mentor.
HHA offers refunds up to 30 days after purchase. A administration fee will apply to offset processing costs on all refunds.
Have a question you would like to ask?
We are available to answer any questions you may have and encourage you to contact us through email or phone at your convenience.